Saturday, February 7, 2009

"Hello my friends, Hello. I just called to say Hello" (Neil Diamond)

Well, Im sure that everyone is shocked that I took a long break from blogging.  After all, I am one of the best people you will ever meet when it comes to staying dedicated to finishing a task and keeping in touch with my friends.  However, I am back and rededicated to my work so expect several posts in the near future.  I will probably be writing more sports blogs for fun and also for practice.  I am trying to get a guest writing job for a local paper working for free, and want to practice my writing.  Therefore, for those particular articles, if you feel up to it, I would appreciate some feedback on the pros and cons of my articles.  Also, my buddy Josh and I are seriously considering doing a public access sports talk show on television.  We have begun the preliminary steps towards doing the show, and I really hope we are able to do it.  The show will likely focus on the less publicized sports such as boxing, tennis, and probably even the hawks because they don't get media attention even in Atlanta.  Again I will use my blog to practice presenting a good argument, not just drunken frat yelling contests.  I'm really excited about these prospective opportunities coming up.  I am pretty bored right now in my life as I am in a stage where things have been taken out of my hand.  I am not taking any active steps towards my future in medicine, as I have pretty much done what I can, and am just playing the waiting game.  Hopefully this blog will continue to be a creative outlet for me to focus on, and I will stay dedicated to it.  Now that I have rambled on about how I will be talking about sports, my first blog is actually one of my mini rants on things that piss me off.

Working in a doctors office, there are a variety of things that patients do that piss me off and I want to mention them in case any of ya'll out there do them.  The first of these is being rude to the front office.  It happens all the time, and the irony of it is that often times these are the patients who are the most personable to the providers themselves (I have had the unique experience of spending many hours in both the front office and with the providers in the room, so my experiences are pretty accurate here).  Now from a psychological perspective I guess I understand it.  Going to see the doctor is a submissive act in a sense.  It is humbling to have a finger shoved up your ass once a year, or your vagina swabbed with a fancy form of a cue tip.  Consequently, one may subconsciously want to belittle someone else, and in a doctors office this usually ends up being the front office.  You argue over filling out the paperwork when you have an insurance change, then roll your eyes and take the clipboard with a huff. If the doctor is running late, you yell at the staff as if it is our fault the physician is slow, checking repeatedly to see where your chart is in line and thus insinuating that we are somehow keeping it from reaching the front (by the way, I have never once seen a patient tell a doctor to his face "that he/she was slow and they will change their provider if it keeps up", but I have had that screamed at me in the middle of the waiting room on several occasions).  If any of you know anyone who behaves this way at the office please deliver this message to them: "GET OVER YOURSELF! You are not special nor are you entitled to different treatment than any other john or jane doe that walks though the door. We follow rules, they are not made by us, and we cannot change them because you ask us to.  Bitching to me will not change them."  On the "you are not special note" this brings up another annoyance of mine in the office.  You are not the doctors favorite patient ever and thus are not entitled to special treatment.  Doctors are not that different from strippers in this sense.  Of course they will act like you are the greatest person in the world when they see you, that is what they are paid to do, that is good business.  However, you aren't getting to see the doctor free in a room at the office anymore often then you are getting a free lap dances at the club.  You aren't special, you are a client, and clients pay for specialized skills.

EDIT: Of course nothing I said in the above passage applies to Kyle.  He is special, and I have no doubt that if he tried he would get free lap dances.

Alright keep checking the blog frequently and I will keep updating it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work, sir. I especially like the analogy of the doctor and the stripper. If you've got the money, they've got the time. My high school government teacher actually taught me that quote by applying it to Daytona Beach's tourist economy.

Kyle + Steph said...

Gizz, if you don't update this blog by the time i see you tomorrow there is goin to be hell to pay